−Makes Condé Nast Traveler’s list of 20 Best Places to visit
Guyana has made this year’s Condé Nast Traveler’s list of 20 Best Places to go in 2020.
According to the December 2 publication, the list was compiled “by surveying the magazine’s well-travelled staff, and our hyper-connected network of writers based all over the world.”
It stated that while Guyana has been “under the radar” and “shielded from the masses,” this is about to change with the discovery of oil in 2015.
The country’s diverse population and the capital city’s rustic charm were noted, but it was the richness of its natural beauty that was felt to be a big draw for travellers.
“Venture out to Kaieteur Falls, the world’s largest single-drop waterfall. At community-owned and-operated rain forest ecolodges in the interior, you might go days before encountering another tourist,” the article related.
The majestic Kaieteur Falls
Recent additions to local tour packages were also highlighted, such as “a curry tour in Georgetown” or the opportunity learn more about the country’s centuries-old rum-making history on a tour through distilleries.
Direct American Airlines and JetBlue flights from New York to Georgetown were listed as added incentives for intrepid travellers.
Several criteria were used to determine the list with the objective being to assemble a list that was geographically diverse but with points of interest for every traveller.
Since 2016, Guyana has been gaining worldwide attention as a tourist destination and has received six tourism awards this year.
- The World’s #1 Best of Ecotourism and a Top 10 Sustainable Destination at ITB Berlin (March 219)
- The world’s leading travel and trade show (March 2019)
- First Place – Welcome back to Nature Video at the Golden City Gate Awards (March 2019)
- Best in Sustainable Tourism at the LATA Achievement Awards (June 2019)
- Best in Destination Stewardship at the CTO’s Sustainable Tourism Awards Programme (August 2019) and
- The Silver – ‘Best of Adventure’ from International Travel & Tourism Awards at the World Travel Market in London on November 5 2019.
Other destinations that made the Condé Nast list include Armenia, Brazil, Botswana Salt Plains, the Canary Islands, Dominica, Dubai, Okinawa Japan, Slovenia, Sri Lanka’s Southern Coast, Southeastern Australia, Southwest Michigan, and Tangier, Morocco.