–increase moves from $500- $5000

WEEKS after nurses attached to the Linden Hospital Complex (LHC), participated in industrial action in an effort to send a strong message that it is time they receive sufficient risk allowances, the Government of Guyana has announced that nurses and other medical practitioners would benefit from an increase in risk allowance from $500 to $5000.
Speaking to some of the nurses, they expressed appreciation that the government has listened to their cries and pacified the situation with the announcement.

Trained mental health nurse attached to the Mental Health Institution at the LHC, Tricia McKenzie, said she thinks the increase is a good move and expressed thanks to government for providing same. “We are happy for the risk allowance because we never had it before and we are happy about it and we welcome it, compared to $500 that other nurses were receiving in other parts of the country; we welcome it, it is a new venture, it is a good initiative” she said.

MUST READ  Nandlall ditches law books court matter to attend PPP’s manifesto launch
Loading...

A few weeks ago, Region 10’s Guyana Public Service Union (GPSU), Industrial Relations Officer, Maurice Butters, said that mental health nurses are at great risk in dealing with psychiatric patients and are in need of financial coverage in the event of being injured or attacked by a patient.

Registered Nurse, Tiffany Bayley

Registered Nurse, Tiffany Bayley, also expressed similar sentiments and said it is a good initiative and it is highly appreciated. “Nurses put their lives at risk everyday when dealing with patients, whether in the hospital or on a transfer to Georgetown, and I think it is a good move which can motivate nurses regardless of the odds. I am happy that they are taking our efforts into consideration and it is definitely a form of motivation,” she said.
Butters, in an invited comment, said that the allowances are long overdue and much needed by the medical staff since they work under dangerous circumstances. Only last Sunday, a LHC nurse, Eon Reddock, was laid to rest after the ambulance he was in, which was transporting a patient to Georgetown, collided with a motorcar. After his death, calls were made for the allowances to be given, in addition to insurance for nurses.

MUST READ  Construction worker on remand for wounding mason
Loading...

Butters said that in addition to the increased allowance, the government should put in place some kind of addendum for when nurses are injured or in the worst case scenario, killed. “The allowance is good, but we must have some kind of addendum if they are injured, their medical bill and so forth, must be taken care of,” he said.

This was echoed by Nurse Mackenzie, who can be considered a high-risk nurse. She said while the $5000 is appreciated, more must be in the pipe line for nurses and other medical practitioners.

Loading...

President David Granger, last week, announced that health care workers, such as doctors and nurses, will enjoy an increase in their monthly allowances. Station allowances will be increased from $2,800 to $10,000; Hinterland allowances will be increased from between $4,000 and $12,000 to $24,000. Risk allowance will be increased from $500 to $5,000. Uniform allowance for health sector workers will be increased from $13,000 and $22,135 to $15,000 and $30,000 respectively, and on-call allowance for doctors will also be increased. Meal allowance will also be increased to $8,000.

MUST READ  − “Being raped was the worst and most painful thing I ever experienced” – victim A Success, East Coast Demerara (ECD) minibus driver has been sentenced to 25 years’ imprisonment for raping a 15-year-old schoolgirl in a dark, bushy area. Inteaz Mohamed called “Uncle Shameer”, 44, was sentenced on Friday by High Court Judge Brassington Reynolds. Upon his indictment, Mohamed had pleaded not guilty to the charges. But following deliberations, a 12-member jury found that between September 1 and 30, 2014, and January 1 and 30, 2015, he raped the victim. The verdicts in relation to both counts were unanimous. Facts presented by Prosecutors Sarah Martin and Nafeezah Baig stated that Mohamed and the 15-year-old girl are known to each other. At that time, he operated a school bus and would transport the teenager to and from school. In September 2014, Mohamed picked up the girl from school, transported her to a dark, bushy area, and raped her. The court heard that Mohamed threatened to kill himself and the young girl if she told anyone about what had happened. Again, in January 2015, Mohamed picked up the girl from lessons, took her to the same location, and raped her. The following month, the girl’s elder brother started to pick her up from lessons. This continued until she finished school. Mohamed got a hold of her phone number and began harassing her. Sometime after, he went to her home while her mother was out and gave her a letter, and threatened to kill her if she disclosed its content. The girl later confided in her brother. A Police report was made. “Worst, most painful thing” Through a victim impact statement, the young girl expressed how the actions of Mohamed have affected her. “Being raped was the worst and most painful thing I ever experienced. I felt scared, helpless, and traumatised. He [Mohamed] was a monster to me. I was depressed dealing with the painful memories by myself; it was difficult. I felt like my body wasn’t mine anymore.” The young lady said that she is unable to forgive the man for what he has done to her. She revealed that due to the sexual violence meted out on her, she is not only unable to trust another person but is also suffering from sleep deprivation as she is haunted by memories of the ordeal. The victim said, “I was living in fear every day. Fear took over me, many nights I cried myself to sleep. Inteaz continued to harass me, him being in front of me every day was torture to deal with.” Expressing satisfaction with Mohamed’s convictions, she added, “I am now pleased he is away from me. I can finally resume my life where I can continue my studies. I am hoping that he is kept away from me for as long as possible so that I can be safe and live my life…” On this note, the young girl asked Justice Reynolds to impose the maximum penalty on the rapist. “I’ve been wrongfully accused” – convicted rapist “I would begin with asking this court to be lenient on me and to have mercy on me. I have been accused wrongfully. I have a daughter who is 16 years old and she would be punished more than me. I came with one thing in mind to prove my innocence. I didn’t commit this act,” convicted child rapist Mohamed said in brief remarks to the court. Meanwhile, a probation report revealed that Mohamed is currently unemployed. His family members described him as a helpful, caring, and kind person who was not involved in criminal activities. Persons in his community also stated that he was well-mannered. They nevertheless said that they were shocked and saddened at his involvement in the crime. A probation officer disclosed that the convict expressed no remorse and stated that he was “scared to death for the outcome of the matter” and preferred “a rope around his neck.” According to the probation officer, the nature of the offence Mohamed committed against the girl is even more heinous since he violated her trust. “The act of abuse is a plight in our society. And those who commit such acts must be condignly dealt with by the law…,” the officer noted. Continuing disregard Justice Reynolds, in his sentencing remarks, said the courts have taken note of the continuing disregard by bus and taxi drivers who continue to consider schoolgirls as “theirs for the taking”. “Bus drivers across the breadth and length of our country, drivers who continue to consider schoolgirls who travel in their busses and cars to go to school as theirs for the taking. Our courts most continue to set its faces against such behaviour,” he made clear. Against this backdrop, Justice Reynolds stressed that the “courts must send a message to those who may be harbouring such beastly thoughts.” While Mohamed has no previous brushes with the law, the Judge said that this must be weighed against the predatory manner in which he betrayed the trust imposed on him by the victim. Although the Judge pointed out that a life sentence would be the best way to remove Mohamed from the rest of society whose values and norms he has flagrantly betrayed, he pointed out that consideration had to be given to several determinants in arriving at an appropriate jail term. Among those considered by Justice Reynolds were the convict’s favourable probation report, his age, home, and economic circumstances, and the fact that he has no previous antecedents. Having given credence to the foregoing, the Judge disclosed that he was inclined to impose a term of years, instead of life imprisonment. As such, Mohamed was jailed for 25 years on each of the two counts of rape. The sentences will be served concurrently.
Loading...

Leave a Reply